Mimosa Tree Not Budding Out - Knowledgebase Question

Sedgwick, KS
Question by radical5
Last spring early, I planted a Mimosa Tree (Albizia julibrissin 'Rosea') in my yard and had wonderful results from it despite the hot and dry summer conditions last year where I live. Around October the tree started going dormant and we did have somewhat of a hard winter here this last year. It is now late April and the tree is not showing any signs of coming out of dormancy. When I scratch the trunk of the tree with my fingernail about half way down to the ground or more, it will show a pale green, but above that on the trunk, it is not showing anything. What my question is should I think about replacing this tree as I really want one and love them, or wait a bit more since I have heard many say that they are really late in coming out in spring.

Jeremy Schrader
Sedgwick, KS

0

Hang in there! What you've heard is true. In your area they may not leaf out until late May/Early June. I hope your tree does as well this year as last!