Care Of Linden Trees - Knowledgebase Question

Laurel, MT
Question by libarny
We have a Linden Tree planted in somewhat alkaline soil. Are Lindens Acid loving trees? Am I doing the tree any good by giving it an acidic fertilizer, or am I hurting it?

0

Actually, lindens grow best in neutral to slightly alkaline soils (pH 7.0 - 7.5), so I would discontinue with the acidic fertilizer. A top dressing of compost is a better option. Lindens do best in moist, well-drained, deep, rich soils, but here in Vermont we have littleleaf lindens (Tilia cordata) growing as street trees, and they are hardy and tolerant of a range of conditions. Watering is very important for newly planted trees. Provide them with water for the first couple of years, watering deeply every week to 10 days if rain is not abundant.