Growing Miniature Roses Indoors - Knowledgebase Question

New Orleans, LA
Question by MackenziF
November 11, 1997
I would like some information on what to do to keep my new mini rose plant alive indoors.

November 11, 1997

0

It can be a delight to have roses flowering indoors, and you'll have the best luck if you have a very sunny window or supplemental grow lights. Roses are heavy feeders and require regular fertilizing with a complete liquid fertilizer. Special rose plant foods are also available. Keep the plant away from heat sources which can dry out the leaves, and mist it if possible. The biggest threat to roses indoors is spider mites, which form whitish webbing on the undersides of leaves. They can be hard to see, and by the time you notice the damage, the insects have a firm hold. The least toxic way to control mites is to hold the plant upside down and dip the upper portion (not the root ball) into soapy water every few days until you no longer see the mites. Commercially available insecticidal soap sometimes works as well.