Where Do I Plant Cannas - Knowledgebase Question

IL
Question by karens51
My neighbor gave me a bucket of canna bulbs. I am not familiar with this plant. Does it require sun or shade? How much water? I was told the bulbs must be dug each fall in Illinois. Help I don't want to have a disaster with my generous 83 year old neighbor looking on.

0

Cannas are large tropical plants that grow from tubers. The are available in different sizes, leaf colors (green, purple, red, yellow, striped) and flower colors.

Cannas need rich, moist soil and can even be pond plants. Put lots of organic matter in their soil and fertilize about once a month during their growing season. They are frost tender, so plant after danger of frost, spacing tubers about 18" apart, 4" deep. When frost blackens the foliage in the fall, dig, clean and store the tubers until next spring. I hope this info helps!