Lilac Propagation - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Garden Friend
Sundre, LA
Question by smackn
November 12, 1997
Can lilacs be propagated from stem cuttings? If so, how, when, where etc??

November 12, 1997

0

I have successfully propagated lilacs in my garden with a process called simple layering. In the Fall, take a long, flexible limb (one that will easily reach the ground without breaking), and notch an area of the stem with a sharp knife. Dust the notch with a rooting stimulation hormone such as Rootone, dig out a small area of soil, placed notched area of the limb (dust side down) into the small hole, and cover with soil, securing the limb to ground either with a small stone or a floral pick.

Inthe Spring separate this limb from the mother Lilac. There should be a new rootball at the area at which you made that original notch.