Tulips in Florida - Knowledgebase Question

debary, FL
Question by ereilly0
November 13, 1997
I am planting tulips in central Florida in large urns to avoid in-ground pests. Do I need to refrigerate the bulbs each year and replant them in spring to maintain blossoming?

November 13, 1997

0

You live at the southern edge of the tulip s growing range, so even if you baby them, they probably won t repeat bloom reliably. Even under ideal conditions, hybrid tulips run out fairly quickly. To maximize bloom, chill them in the fridge for 8-10 weeks, and then slowly move them from a sheltered, partially-shaded area in your yard to full sun, so they won't be shocked by the change in climate.

For the future, I recommend growing species tulips,which need little care and are reilable repeat bloomers. Check out the National Gardening Magazine article at http://www2.garden.org/nga/EDI... for information on growing, and to find the varieties that grow best in your area (USDA Zone 9). Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"