Bulb Planting Depth In Cold Region - Knowledgebase Question

Mammoth Lakes, CA
Question by dl6
I live in a area that freezes each winter. I am afraid that bulbs which don't need to be planted deeply will freeze, so I planted them deeper last year. They did not come up. One example is crocus. How should I be planting them? Is it ok for them to freeze?

Thank you for your time.

0

Spring flowering bulbs do not mind freezing weather. In fact, most won't flower without experiencing cold winter temperatures! As you've discovered, planting bulbs too deeply will cause them to run out of stored energy before the shoots can emerge from the soil. Go ahead and plant your bulbs at the prescribed depths (about 2 1/2 times as deep as they are wide). They will cruise right through your winter weather and emerge beautifully the following spring.