Impatiens Buds Falling Off - Knowledgebase Question

Arlington, VA
Question by ltufano
I bought a flat of impatiens, and planted half in clay containers and placed them outside, and they're blooming beautifully. I planted the other half in a plastic container and put it on a screened-in porch. These plants are growing and make buds, but the buds fall off before they can bloom. Any suggestions?

0

Bud drop is frequently a sign of inconsistent watering, so try to keep the soil evenly moist--neither saturated nor dry. I suspect the indoor plants may be getting too much water. Check the soil with your finger before watering. The plants outdoors in clay pots will probably require more frequent watering than the indoor plants, because the clay is porous and because the plants are subjected to drying winds.