Pear Pollination - Knowledgebase Question

Name: K Abrahamson
Everet, WA
Question by aabrahamso
November 14, 1997
I planted a Seckel pear this spring. The information that came with the tree mentioned that the tree needed no cross pollination. I am wondering if that is correct since literature I have read since has contradicted this statement.

November 14, 1997

0

Pears bear more fruit when another cultivar is growing nearby. I'm not sure why the information tag said otherwise. Since Seckel blooms in mid-season, you should plant another mid-season blooming type nearby. Mid-season bloomers include Highland, Warren, and Harrow Delight. You might contact Raintree Nursery (391 Butts Rd., Morton, WA 98356, ph# 360/496-6400) for their advice about the best pollinator for Seckel.