Taxus Root Weevil Control - Knowledgebase Question

New York, NY
Question by bwaggott
The spring growth on our established taxus is robust, but then follows a heavy needle drop. I read that this may be due to the taxus root weevil. I have seen and hand-picked black vine weevils in rhododendrons close by, and I understand that these are the mature form of the root weevil. Is this correct, and what are the best methods to deal with this problem?

0

You're right, black vine weevil are the adult form of Taxus root weevil. Beneficial nematodes are an effective organic control method. You can order them from Gardens Alive (www.gardensalive.com). They work best if you can keep the soil evenly moist -- they don't survive well in dry soil. Best of luck to you!