Lemon Tree Fruit Size - Knowledgebase Question

Oakland, CA
Question by lorenzenal
November 15, 1997
I just purchased a house with a lemon tree in the backyard. In June I had lemons the size of cantalope. Now green lemons are growing and are already softball size. Is this just what my tree produces or will pruning or feeding change the size of the lemons?

November 15, 1997

0

Yes, many varieties do produce large sized lemons. The size of the lemons on the tree are directly related to pruning, thinning, and fertilizing practices. For larger fruits, thin some smaller fruits out as they begin to develop so the tree's energy can be concentrated on fewer fruits. Watering and fertilizing the tree regularly will keep it in good health and produce large fruits. As the tree's health declines, you'll see a decline in fruit size many times.