Bug Problem, Need "chemical Free" Solution - Knowledgebase Question

Orange, CA
Avatar for clwilliams
Question by clwilliams
May 23, 2001
I have a problem with thousands of "Pill Bugs" or Rolly Pollies, I don't know their real name. They remind me of
mini armadillos.

I have a raised masonry flower bed and used high grade bedding soil from our local nursery. I have a gazillion
of these now in my bed eating up all the seedlings that are
coming up this spring. This is my second year with the flower bed and it wasn't like this last season.


Answer from NGA
May 23, 2001
Pillbugs, or sowbugs, are one of those beneficial soil dwelling critters that consumes decaying organic debris. They help break down dead plant matter, so killing them isn't recommended. Sometimes their populations, especially in cool, damp soils, gets overwhelming and they begin to attack living plant material. You can trap them by placing damp folded newspapers on the soil in the evening. The bugs will crawl between the folds to hide. In the morning pick up the newspapers and put them in the compost pile, where the bugs will help break down plant debris. After a few days of transporting the bugs out of your garden, you won't have such a problem with them, and they'll be in the compost where they can do the most good.

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:

( No account? Join now! )