Gladious Bulbs Not Growing - Knowledgebase Question

Albany, NY
Question by kmibus
I planted two planter boxes with Gladiolus bulbs but only two (one in each box) are growing. The leaves are about one foot high. Why are the others not growing? I planted the bulbs in late April. When I planted them, I added bulb food to each bulb. Should I dig up a couple bulbs to see whether they rotted?

0

You might try that, although you would need to be very careful to avoid inadvertently damaging any growth tips. There are several possibilities here, one that you have planted different varieties and some will simply emerge earlier than others or the corms were handled differently prior to purchase and thus there was a quality difference. Planting at different depths can also affect emergence time. Also, soil temperature can make a difference so you might see those on the warmer sides coming up first. I hope they are ok.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"