Help Kill Peppermint - Knowledgebase Question

Zeeland, MI
Question by lemke5
I have peppermint growing uncontrollable. How can I get rid
of it without killing the other plants that are growing in the same area?

0

Mint is highly invasive because it can sprout anew from just the tiniest bit of root. You need to keep pulling it out as soon as you see it. Eventually you can get it under control. If you are desperate, you might want to try glyphosate, which is a systemic herbicide. This means when it is sprayed on a plant, the plant absorbs and distributes it throughout its system. Eventually, it kills the entire plant, including the roots. The spray can drift to other plants, particularly if there is any breeze. Spray in the morning when air is usually calmest and cover any nearby plants. Another solution is to dab the hard-to-control weeds with glyphosate in a wick applicator (VERY low chemical use that way), which is preferable in a food-producing garden.