Pruning My Flowering Maple - Knowledgebase Question

Niagara Falls, ON
Question by gburkholder3
How do I prune a flowering maple ? I purchased it as a small
plant and it has grown considerably, there are currently 3 tall stems approx 1 ft & 1/2 and it's starting to lean. It appears to be growing upwards not outwards. I live in a 4 season climate, the plant is currently in a pot inside my house on the ledge of my bay window. I don't know what to cut or where. Thank you in advance Lisa

0

My flowering maple (Abutilon) did the same thing when it stood in warm temperatures and bright light -- it grew very long branches with big gaps between the nodes. Ideally, abutilon needs a filtered light and moderate temperatures (18 - 20C) for best growth. National Gardening offers a how-to on renovating overgrown houseplants, including abutilon. Once you have renewed the plant, regularly pinch the branch tips back to leaf junctions (axils) to get the plant established in a bushy growth habit. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"