Drooping Hostas And Astillbes - Knowledgebase Question

Goshen, IN
Question by burky98
I have a lot of hostas and astillbes planted in shady areas around the house (planted last Fall). They all came back beautifully this spring, however, now some of the hostas are drooping and the leaves are yellowing. The astillbes also came in big and beautiful, but now the flower stems (pre-bloom) are drooping and the lower leaves are drying out.

Both these problems are happening with some of the hostas and astillbes, but not all of them.

Help!

Nancy

0

Based on your description, I am not certain what is happening but I would investigate the roots first. It is possible that voles are munching underground, they love hosta roots and will move on to other plants, too.

Next, I would think back and wonder if these plants could have been overfertilized or in contact with fresh "hot" manure and are suffering a bit of a reaction to that. If this is the case and it is not too extreme, a little extra watering and time will solve the problem.

Also, could these particular plants be suffering water stress due to over or underwatering? Overflow from the gutter could overwater them, overhanging eaves or branches could limit water reaching their roots, or underground tree or shrub roots could be robbing them of moisture.

Finally, there is a chance of an infection of some sort at work, and if you can't deduce any culture-related problems as mentioned above, then you might want to consult with your county extension and see if they can determine a cause for the problem.

I hope it is something simply solved.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"