Dieback On "rose Of Sharon" - Knowledgebase Question

Nashotah, WI
Question by mariann1
I live in Wisconsin and have two "rose of sharon" bushes, this year they died back. We have had them for three years and they were about 5 ft. tall. Now they are not budding out on the branches however there is growth at the base. A few of my nieghbors have the same problem. Are they dead? Should I prune them back?

0

In a harsh winter, the shrubs may die back more than in milder years. Any winter kill should be removed, if it is truly dead. Start at the tip of a branch and look inside it for green. If there is no green, trim it away. Work your way down the plant, trimming until you reach live wood. If the plant needs shaping after that, trim more as needed. This plant blooms on the new growth of the season, so it will still bloom this summer.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"