|Last year we had a landscaper put mulch in our plant beds. This year, with all the rain, we have tons of mushrooms. I filled a garbage can with them yesterday. What do I do?
|Answer from NGA
May 30, 2001
|The mushrooms are a natural part of the decay process whereby the mulch is broken down and eventually helps feed the soil. The mushrooms will not hurt your plants and it is not necessary to remove them (unless you are worried that a child or pet might eat them). They will usually stop on their own once the weather turns drier and/or they have exhausted their food source. In the meantime, turning the mulch or fluffing it and avoiding watering it may help deter them. They are a good addition to the compost pile, too.
« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage