Pruning Wisteria - Knowledgebase Question

Denver, CO
Question by gmi
I have a wisteria that is relatively new here and has bloomed for its' first time. The blooms have now faded; do I cut the spurs off the plant where the blooms were or do I allow it to produce seed pods? Thank you for your service!

0

You can leave the faded flowers alone, or you can prune them off. It makes no difference to the plant. Wisteria set blooms in late summer for the next year's spring display. All through the summer, prune out the tips of all new shoots when they reach 12" long. In the winter, shorten the shoots again so that about 6 buds remain on each shoot. Cut away all suckers that appear at the base of the plant. With a little experience you'll be able to recognize the fat flower buds as they develop and avoid pruning them off, concentrating instead on the rest of the streamers to keep the plant under control.