Pinching Dahlias - Knowledgebase Question

Siloam Springs, AR
Question by anorexicfool
I have two types of Dahlias growing in my garden. Anemone and Dinner Plate. I was wondering, the dahlias have began to bud and I noticed that there is one larger more central bud in the middle of the plant surronded by two smaller buds. My question is, should I pinch off these side buds, and If I do what would be the result?(or consequence)

Thanks

0

Growers who participate in dahlia shows always pinch out all but the largest flower bud. This results in a single, but much larger flower. If you want a riot of color from your plants, allow all of the buds to remain. They generally do not open at once, but in stages, prolonging the bloom period. If you want a singular but spectacular bloom, pinch out all but the largest bud in a cluster.

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"