Difference In Male And Femal Flowers - Knowledgebase Question

American Canyon, CA
Question by dngkaizr
How can I tell the difference in male and female flowers on my zuchinni plants? I am currently having problems with the zuchinni rotting after they reach about 2 inches long which I believe has to do with a pollination problem.
Thank you
RO

0

It does sound as though there's a lack of pollination in your zucchini. Early in the season lack of pollination is usually due to cool weather and the fact that there are fewer insects around to visit the flowers. Things should perk up when the weather warms. Female flowers have a slight swelling just behind the petals. Male flowers have a straight stem behind the petals. If you choose to hand pollinate your zucchini, remove an entire male flower and visit each female flower, rubbing the insides of the flowers together to transfer pollen.