No Plants From Seed - Knowledgebase Question

Millville, NJ
Question by LeslieB105
I planted the whole burpee seed packet of carnival mix peppers inside in April in starting soil. I followed the directions on the packet & I only got 3 plants from the whole packet. Is this normal or should I have gotten more plants?

0

I'm sorry you had such low germination. You should have gotten more plants. Peppers can be difficult to germinate in that they need a warm soil temperature, warmer than the typical home. For this reason some gardeners will use a special heating mat or other source of bottom heat to try to optimize the growing conditions. Other seed starting tips would include using a dampened soilless mix, seeding lightly, water lightly once, then cover the pot with clear plastic to maintain humidity and set it in a bright and warm location (but out of direct sun) until the seeds germinate. Once they germinate in a week or so, remove the cover and place in a very bright location, preferably under lights or in a greenhouse.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"