Name Of Dwarf Burning Bush - Knowledgebase Question

Leominster, MA
Question by msand12206
I am looking for a dwarf Burning Bush that grows to about 12 to 15 inch height and whose leaves get crimson red. Is there a plant name for this type of bush?

0

Burning bush is Euonymous alatus. The species according to Michael Dirr's "Manual of Woody Landscape Plants" grows to about 15 to 20 feet, and the "Compactus" is listed at growing to about ten feet. I am not sure if this is the plant you have in mind. It has green foliage and turns brilliant red in the fall.

There is a small, dwarf form of the red barberry that is red all season and loses its leaves in the winter. This would be a red form of Berberis thunbergii such as "Crimson Pygmy". These are small rounded shrubs with thorns growing to less than two feet tall.