|we have some sort of fungus - flat and orange/white brown growin in our beds. we have pine straw in these beds but i have also had it on mulch. what to do? is spreads like crazy!
|Answer from NGA
June 23, 2001
|Welcome to the wonderful world of slime molds! These goopy fungi (Myxomycetes) live on dead organic matter and thrive in moist conditions. You can rake it out and dump it in the trash; especially in the early stages before it spreads its spores. Increasing the air circulation and allowing the soil to dry out will help eliminate the stuff. To help stop the growth of slime mold, water early in the morning to allow the soil to dry before nightfall, and try raking any thatch on the soil surface to help expose it to air and sunlight. Slime molds are perfectly harmless - just revolting to look at!
« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage