Storing Sweet Corn - Knowledgebase Question

Pryor, OK
Question by jerogers
I would like to know how to refrigerate corn on the cob. We like to eat sweet corn on the cob as long as we can. We have put the corn in the refrige "in the crisper"drawers with the shuck still on with both ends tipped off. It always"molds"on the top end. Is it not cold enough, should I not cut the tip off, Or is there a better way to keep it? I am new at this and would appreciate your advice. Thanks

0

Unfortunately, sweet corn simply does not keep well. That is partly why it tastes so good when we do have it, I think. Ideally, the water should be boiling when you go out to pick it as the old tale goes. You might find that it keeps a few days longer if you simply refrigerate it immediately after picking with the husks on and without tipping it. Alternatively, many people will freeze it to enjoy later. Your county extension should have the most up to date instructions for safe handling and best results in preserving foods by freezing, drying and canning. Bon appetit!