Are Daffodils Invasive? - Knowledgebase Question

Minden, NE
Question by dw4445
November 5, 2001
Our daughter-in-law in Oklahoma is concerned that if I bring some daffodil bulbs and plant them for her that they will take over her yard. I told her I did not think they would. They don't do so where we live in Nebraska.

November 5, 2001

0

Daffodils (narcissus or jonquils) will multiply slowly year by year to form a clump, but they do not spread fast enough to be a problem. Their primary mode of increase is to form additional bulbs underground but they stay packed tightly together and do not move or spread over any distance. If they become crowded it is easy to lift the clump and thin it out. Removing the spent blossoms will also prevent them from ever setting seed -- although most varieties do not seed prolifically it is not unheard of for an occasional seedling to appear next to the original plant. I would expect them to perform about the same in Tulsa as in Nebraska.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"