South west - Knowledgebase Question

Las Vegas, NV
Avatar for mmcgowan
Question by mmcgowan
November 23, 1997
I'm new to the area and would like some advise on what is best to grow in my area.

November 23, 1997
You are in Sunset zone 11 (a different, and perhaps more useful, system of zones than the common USDA map). You didn't specify what types of plants you are looking for, so it's hard for me to suggest varieties. For example, appropriate shrubs (the category you checked) might include strawberry tree, barberry, cotoneaster, beautybush, and photinia.

By far, the best way to choose landscape plants is to chat with neighbors about what has grown well for them. It's also a great way to meetpeople--gardeners usually love to talk about their gardens!

(You might want to get a copy of the Sunset Western Garden Book; published by Sunset Publishing, Menlo Park, CA. It's full of useful information about gardening in the west.)

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by Zoia and is called "Strawberry Lipstick "

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.