How Do More Bulbs Produce? - Knowledgebase Question

San Diego, CA
Question by philly619
December 2, 2001
Do more bulbs grow from undergound off the roots or what? Can you please explain the process? Feel free to use technical terms - I love telling others and sounding like I know what im talking about, thanks

December 2, 2001

0

The answer to your question depends upon the bulbs under discussion. In general terms, commonly grown bulbs such as tulips and narcissus develop little bulblets on the outside of the mother bulb. These can be removed and planted and they will eventually produce flowers on their own. The maturation process can take 3-4 years, so expect green leaves only for the first few years after separation, and then smallish flowers for a year or two before the bulbs are large enough to produce large flowers. Hope this information is helpful!