Keeping Dahlia Bulbs - Knowledgebase Question

Kittanning, PA
Question by waspbs
November 23, 1997
I have been trying to start a dahlia collection like my mother used to have, but I haven't had any luck keeping the bulbs over the winter. They dry up and die. Can you help?

November 23, 1997

0

Are you sure they are dead? Lots of times dahlia bulbs look like something from King Tut's tomb yet they are still alive. Did you try planting them anyway? Here's the procedure for digging and storage: dig them before the first frost or just after the first mild frost, shake off any loose soil, and allow them to dry in a dark, cool (35-40F), dry spot for approximately 1 week. They should then be placed in dry peat moss for winter storage in a cool, dry location. Hope this makes the difference!