Heather Care - Knowledgebase Question

New York, NY
Question by MarianPeter
November 24, 1997
Last winter I did nothing to my white 12 inch tall, heathers and they flowered in January. When, if, and how should I trim and feed them?

thanks for the help

November 24, 1997

0

Heather likes to be in sun although it will tolerate a bit of shade. It should be in sandy, but humusy soil. Fertilize your heather with an all-purpose acidifying evergreen food such as Mir Acid in early spring. Just scratch some in around the drip lineof the plant.
Generally heather (Calluna) is cut back after blooming in order to keep it full and bushy. Yours bloomed in January? I'm impressed! I would guess that since you have it planted close to the foundation, as well as in a protected location among your shrubs it probably thought it was just an extra chilly autumn and went ahead and flowered in January.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"