Getting Rid Of Perennial Weeds - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Macie Hilborn
Chesapeake, VA
Question by mph0617
December 30, 2001
My flower beds have become overrun with some type of weed. It is only about 1/4 " tall and spreads/clumping, a little circular leaf. My question is, is there any type of weed treatment I can apply now, during the winter, that won't affect perennials in the bed? (Roundup says it has to be around 60 degrees for it to work.)

December 30, 2001

0

Unfortunately, based on your description I am unable to identify the weed with certainty. It is however possible that it is a cool season weed that will die back of its own when the weather turns hot again next summer. One approach would be to cover it with several layers of damp newspaper topped with several inches of mulch. This would serve to smother the weed as well as help to feed the soil as the organic matter from the weeds and toppings eventually decompose. Alternatively, you might wish to take a sample to your county extension for identification and their recommendations for control. I'm sorry I can't be more specific.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"