Garden Design - Knowledgebase Question

Winterville, GA
Question by vcalfee
November 24, 1997
My husband has asked for a perennial garden for his 10th anniversary. I am stumped as to how to go about it. Do you offer any design service? It's about a 20ft strip down a wooden privacy fence. Bed line can be curved with rock border. Will need to fill in with soil then flowers! It's so big. I don't know where to start. Just know that tall plants to the back against the fence. Can you make a suggestion?

November 24, 1997

0

What a lovely gift! Many perennial plants take up a lot of room, and many spread quickly. Believe me, once you get started, you'll feel like there's not enough room! There are as many ways to design a garden as there are gardeners, but here are afew things that narrow down your choices: soil type, light/shade, drainage, moisture availability and climate. Also, what kinds of plants does your husband enjoy?

I suggest that you both peruse some gardening catalogs and visit local nursuries to decide on plant material, and to get an idea of how gardens are created. Garden Escape (www.garden.com) offers a free on-line design service - it's a wonderful way to generate ideas! Enjoy!