Lawn - Knowledgebase Question

Des Moines, WA
Question by tomnshelley
Hi,I have a lawn I planted about five years ago(Northwest Blend) and over the years it has become more and more soft and a little muddy in spots. And in spots (under shade ) the grass has become sparse.Will an aeriator help solve this problem? Tom

0

Sounds as though the soil has become compacted over the years. You can aerate the lawn to renew it, leaving the plugs right on top. Rainfall and regular watering will dissolve the plugs and they'll disappear in a week or two. After aerating, lightly broadcast seed over the entire lawn. You can add a thin layer of sand over the seed to help protect the seed from birds and to help fill in the holes from the aerator.

Be sure to fertilize regularly (April, June, September and early December) to help your lawn grow lush, mow to keep it about 2 to 2 1/2" tall, and water deeply every 10 days during the warmest part of the summer.

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"