Easiest Rose For Beginners - Knowledgebase Question

Chesapeake, VA
Question by MLKWSKTJK
I am very interested in planting roses and have done some research in the care and planting, however I am not sure what the best selection of Rose for southeastern Virginia might be.
What breed of Rose would you recommend for a beginner that will provide lots of flowers, and require low maintenance.

0

Based on my own experience, I would suggest varieties of Rosa rugosa. It is tolerant of heat and cold, requires only a minimum of pruning, is disease resistant and very tough. It is also relatively drought tolerant. Keep in mind that roses of any kind do best in a full sun location with good air circulation and average to better soil, the location should also be well drained, meaning not a soggy low spot or an area where water collects after a rain. Good luck with your new roses!