Peas Not Sprouting - Knowledgebase Question

Elizabeth, PA
Question by barncord5
November 27, 1997
Last season I planted Meastro and another variety of pea seeds in the garden. The first planting was the end of May. Nothing grew, so I re-planted after 2 weeks. Again- nothing. I re-planted again - nothing. I have had sucess before but I am bewildered why I had problems. Could you please help me for next year.

Thanks

November 27, 1997

0

Sometimes peas will rot if the soil is too wet. Did you dig around in the soil to see if you could find any seeds? On occasion seed lots can been improperly stored which can affect germination. More likely, however, is that birds found and consumed the seeds before they had a chance to germinate. To discourage wildlife from feasting on seeds, you might want to try covering the planting area with a floating row cover until the sprouts are several inches high.