Mandioquinha Yams - Knowledgebase Question

Atherton, CA
Question by lisareyff
November 28, 1997
On a recent trip to Brazil, I discovered a fabulously delicious root vegetable called "Mandioquinha". It is yellow in color and cooks to a soft, sweet pinapple/banana flavor with the cooked texture of carrot/potato. I would love to grow this gem of a vegetable here in the US. Can you help me?

November 28, 1997

0

Mandioquinha, roughly translated, is Dioscorea alata 'florido' - also known as water yam. You may not be successful in growing them at home because they are a subtropical plant that require the heat and humidity not generally available from yourcoastal climate.

But, if you're willing to try, yams mature in about 150 days. They need to be harvested before the soil temperature drops below 55 F and then need to be cured at 85 F with 90 - 95% humidity for 4 - 7 days.

It will be hard to find a source for these yams--they are generally not grown in this country. You might try J.L. Hudson, Seedsman (Star Route 2 Box 337, La Honda, CA 94020) and Exotic Tropical Plant Seeds/Southern Business Express Seeds Division, 3421 Bream St., Gautier, MS 39553.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"