Trumpet Creeper That Doesn't Flower - Knowledgebase Question

Penfield, NY
Question by maryme
I have two Monrovia trumpet creepers. This will be the third growing season and neither of them have ever flowered. Is there anything I can do? They are both heathly and growing very well.

0

Trumpet creeper or Campsis radicans can sometimes be shy to flower no matter what we do or don't do, the plants may simply require additional maturity. However, it does bloom best when grown in full sun and in soil with average fertility. Too shady a location and/or oversupplying it with nitrogen fertilizer can cause an overabundance of foliage at the expense of blooming. Improperly timed pruning can also affect blooming. This plant blooms on the new growth of the season, so you would not want to prune it during the growing season -- this would remove the flower buds as they form. If any pruning is necessary to control or direct its size, cut it back in late winter or very early spring. I hope this helps you trouble shoot.