Acer Waterfall - Knowledgebase Question

San Francisco, CA
Question by dg6
Hi we just purchased an Acer Waterfall tree, She is about 4 feet tall and about 3 feet wide at the top.

I live in San Francisco and I am trying to find out about watering instructions for her. She is in a 1 1/2 foot wide by 1 3/4 inch high container.

How do I know when she needs watered? What amount should I water her. should I let the soil dry ou completely before watering again,.. Please let me know.

Regards.

David

0

There are no hard and fast rules about watering plants in containers. Growing medium, air temperature, exposure to sunshine and rate of plant growth all influence the amount of water a plant needs. If the container is truly less than two inches high, I'll bet you're growing a bonsai. If so, water as often as necessary to keep the soil moist, but not soggy wet. Don't let the soil dry out completely - you'll stress the plant and the soil may be hard to get thoroughly wet again. Here's a website devoted to growing bonsai - I hope it's helpful to you. www.bonsaiweb.com