Vines/ivy For Lattice - Knowledgebase Question

North Hollywood, CA
Question by moonlighthik
I have a lattice work fence that I would like to train a vine or some ivy on. It is a patio of a condominium and the building next door provides a good amount of shade (though the exposure is southern). Any suggestions?
I am looking for something that would be fairly easy upkeep and can remain potted (as I don't really have anyplace to plant it in the ground).

0

One of the best plants for the situation you describe is Virginia Creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia) This vine clings to walls and other surfaces for a quick cover. Dark green leaves turn brilliant orange-red in fall. More open growth than its cousin Boston Ivy. It grows in full to partial sun, and is a fast grower to 30 feet.