Appropriate Zone For Planting A Dogwood Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Winnetka, CA
Question by ChsirKat
I would like to plant a Dogwood tree in my backyard. I live in an area that is probably closer to a Zone 9 than a Zone 8 when it comes to heat. Would it be appropriate to plant a Dogwood? If so, what variety would be best? Thank you very much. Ruth Hindman

0

Because of your gardening region, you'll have best success with Cornus alba, the Tatarian Dogwood. It's a deciduous, multitrunked tree, growing to about 10'. In spring it produces small, fragrant, creamy white flowers in 1-2" flattish clusters. As a bonus, the green foliage turns reddish in the fall. 'Siberica' is smaller and not as wide, growing only 7' tall, but developing coral red branches for winter interest.