Transplanting Hostas - Knowledgebase Question

St.Louis, MO
Question by mdtully
November 29, 1997
I have some Hostas that I want to transplant and was wondering when would be the best time to transplant them? We have had unseasonably warm temperatures and the ground has not frozen yet. Should I divide them now or should I wait?

November 29, 1997

0

In my garden I prefer to divide my hostas in the spring. That way you are assured their roots get a firm, healthy hold before cold weather hits. I simply wait until they appear and have grown to a reasonable height (approximately 50% of their full size). I then dig out the entire clump and start dividing. This is accomplished easily with a sharp knife. This spring, I had a clump of albo-marginata hosta that was approximately 2'x2'. I divided it into 75 separate plants!! My gardener friendswere thrilled!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"