Lawn Turning Yellow In Spots - Knowledgebase Question

Carlin, NV
Question by snowmo
Why is my lawn turning yellow in areas ? I have used weed and feed and I have also used iron.

0

The first thing to rule out is if the problem is being caused by neighborhood dogs who "visit" your lawn. Dog urine can cause yellowing areas and brown spots.

Some tall fescues are succeptible to brown patch. Conditions favoring the disease include hot, humid weather; overly wet, overfertilized lawns; and a thick layer of thatch. You can reduce the chance of future outbreaks by watering deeply and infrequently, and allowing grass to dry between waterings. Also, you might want to aerate the lawn to help break down the thatch. Be sure you are not overfeeding with a nitrogen-rich fertilizer.

You may also want to test your soil to check levels of calcium, phosphorous, and potassium, since improper levels of these nutrients can encourage the disease.

Hope this helps!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"