Should I Replant Peppers If There Was A Cold Snap - Knowledgebase Question

Erwin, TN
Question by tac5
Hi.We just planted last week . So our peppers have been in the ground about 9 days. We are having record low temperatures, down to 32F last night. The bell peppers were not killed, but I don't know if they should be replanted anyway. Will they still have blossoms?Thank you.

0

Peppers are heat loving plants and just do not tolerate cold well at all. It's usually a good idea to wait until a week or two after the last expected frost before planting them because they also like a warmer soil.

Actually, cold below fifty to fifty five degrees can adversely affect peppers in terms of fruit set although they will usually return to good production when the temperatures warm up.

Under extremes, the plants will suffer frost damage whenever frost occurs, and will show freeze damage and possible death at temperatures below 32.

So there is a risk that the plants will be stunted and production will reflect that. I'm sorry about your peppers.