Carpet Rose Yellowing - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Heidi Robinson
Hilton, ny
Question by heidir5
I purchased one of your carpet roses & planted it this past October. It did beautifully & even bloomed.
It was looking great this spring - until I moved it last week. I watered it but didnt fertilize.
I just noticed several yellow leaves. Should I be concerned? could this be shock from transplanting? I would hate to lose it.

0

Transplanting in full leaf is always a shock to a plant, and doing it in the late spring just as the plant is preparing to bloom is a particularly risky time frame. If you were careful to take as much of the root ball as possible and then trim back the top to compensate for the porportion of the roots that are inevitably lost in the digging process, it should probably survive. To help it recover, make sure to supplement the rain as needed to keep the soil evenly moist but not sopping wet and use several inches of organic mulch over the root zone to help keep the soil evenly moist, keep down weeds, and feed the soil as it breaks down over time. The yellowing could just be a sign of shock, it could also be a sign of overwatering or underwatering, or it could be the start of a foliage problem possibly related to all the humid weather we have had recently. To be on the safe side, remove and destroy any leaves that discolor. Good luck with your rose.