American Wisteria Frutescens Trained As A Standard In A Container - Knowledgebase Question

Brooklyn, NY
Question by lwood1
I just planted an American Wisteria frutescens AMETHYST FALLS in my brownstone backyard near a trellis. (It really does bloom the first year!)

Now I'm thinking that it would be better to train it as a standard in a container. I know the American wisteria is supposed to be less invasive but I'm still worried about it. Can this kind be trained as a standard like the Asian wisterias?

0

Although considered less vigorous than the floribunda, this vine is still very big, hitting thirty feet or so. As such it needs a very sturdy support, too.

You certainly could train it as a standard, however planting it in the ground is always preferable to trying to maintain it in a container. If planted in a lawn area and trained to a sturdy post, the plant will be healthier and your job of taking care of it will be much easier -- this is what I would suggest if at all possible.

If grown in a container, you will need to water and feed it faithfully, insulate the roots in the winter, and pot it up into a larger container periodically, then ultimately root-prune and repot periodically as needed to keep it healthy.

Enjoy your wisteria!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"