Water Evaporation In A Pond - Knowledgebase Question

Janesville, WI
Question by chas1347
I have a pond that is 11' x 15'. Is it normal evaporation that would cause me to lose a inch of water in two days or do you think I might have a leak? The temperature has been 70 to 83 degrees outside and I do run a fountain and waterfall.

0

A waterfall and fountain will increase evaporation greatly over a plain still surface, but that does seem excessive. If this is a new installation, keep in mind that when you turn on the pump, it will pull water out of the pond to "fill" the piping and runway for the waterfall and fountain. That will take up or displace a certain amount of water from the pond, thus causing the water level in the pond to drop somewhat. If you just turned everything on for the first time, and the waterways are substantial, this may be what you are seeing and the pond just needs to be topped up to account for that. On the other hand, you might have a leak. Sometimes the leak is in the pond liner, but in my experience more often it is in the waterfall where water is somehow escaping behind it undetected. Good luck, I sure hope it's not a leak.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"