Fresh Wood Chips On Roses - Knowledgebase Question

N. Olmsted, OH
Question by KShea
December 1, 1997
I just had three trees cut down and the stumps were ground. Can I use that mulched/ground wood for covering my roses for winter protection? Didn't know if I could use fresh wood? P.S. I do get the National Gardening Magazine but would appreciate info on membership.

December 1, 1997

0

You could use the ground wood but I "wood not"...just a little gardening humor there. Fresh ground wood may contain disease or pests that you don't want anywhere near your roses. I would stick to cypress mulch, aged or processed wood chips, or rose cones if I were you.

Also, right now, as a subscriber to National Gardening magazine, you are technically a member. We may be expanding membership privileges in the future; as a subscriber you'll be the first to know!

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"