Propogating Stephanotis - Knowledgebase Question

San Diego, CA
Question by helkenn
December 1, 1997
I have three seed pods on my stephanotis vine. How long until they mature and then what do I do with them?

A comment from gloxinia43
I I have had two pods on my plant and yes the will produce seedlings after the pods burst open. I noticed just yesterday that I have two more pods on the plant, it was a couple of months before they burst. Be patient. I would put a pictures up but don't know how to do that yet!

December 1, 1997

0

Stephanotis floribunda, the Madagascar jamsine, is usually propagated by cuttings rather than seeds. It's not likely you can grow a new plant from the seed pods your plant has developed. To propagate, take stem cuttings in the spring, dip in rooting hormone, plant in well-drained medium, and provide bottom heat. If you want to try germinating the seeds as an experiment, sow them in moist seedstarting soil and keep temps around 75F. Germination takes about 30 days.

Otherwise, the seed pods canbe dried and used in flower arrangements, or other decorative projects.

Today's site banner is by greenappleagnes and is called "Carpenter Bees and Ginger"