Spread Of Berri-magic Kids' Holly Combination In Michigan, Clay, Part Shade? - Knowledgebase Question

Birmingham, MI
Question by skmccarthy
The tag that came with the holly says that it is a bushy shrub 6 to 8 feet tall and 3 to 6 feet wide. Can you give me any idea given my growing conditions (Michigan, clay soil, part sun)if I can expect this holly to be closer to the 3 feet wide or closer to the 6 feet wide. I want to make sure I give it enough room but don't want to leave a big hole. Your picture on the front shows a pyramid shape. To end up with that shape do you need to prune it to a pyramid?

0

This is actually the Meserve hollies called Blue Girl and Blue Boy. The plant's natural shape would be a dense pyramidal outline, taller than wide at first but eventually widening outward with age. This would be in a full sun location. In a shadier area the plant will not grow as solidly dense, it will stretch upward and outward for more light. It will also probably lean toward the light. With regular pruning you can easily encourage it to stay more compact if needed. These plants are relatively slow growing, in any case, so it will be quite some time before it begins to exceed the smaller dimensions. I would ultimately (in say twenty years) expect something in the range of eight to ten feet tall and six to eight feet wide.