Propogating Fig Cuttings - Knowledgebase Question

Medina, TX
Question by toad81
December 3, 1997
I have moved to this area recently. Back at house in San Antonio I have a vigorously bearing fig. How and when is best to go about making cuttings and rooting them, so I can have one or more fig trees here? I believe it was Brown turkey fig, or Mission fig.

December 3, 1997

0

Figs take well to propogation from cuttings. Choose 6" long twigs of the previous year's growth. Make cuttings in early spring. Include a "heel" (a piece of older wood attached at the base, usually cut at an angle), as such cuttings root more quickly. Pot them in a flat of moist peat. Bottom heat, provided by a root-zone heat mat or the top of your fridge, will hasten the rooting process (at least 5 weeks). Make sure the medium is evenly moist, and mist the flat a few times per week. Transplant cuttings to pots of well-drained soil when they have swollen buds. Figs grow so quickly that some folks have had trees produce fruit within one year of propagation! Hope yours do the same!